Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What a weekend!

Sorry I've been MIA for the last couple of days...it's been a crazy weekend. We had planned on having a family BBQ for Turbo's birthday on Sunday, but DH was called out of town, so we called everyone and cancelled. Then.....they called off DH's trip at the last minute, so we called everyone, letting them know the BBQ was on at the last minute...which means, last minute, I had to plan and cook food for 12 people. Here is the frugal menu I pulled off:

1 package FREE Oscar Meyer hot dogs (coupon from All You Magazine)
2 lbs hamburger (1.39/lb from a recent Albertsons sale)
2 packages hamburger buns - .88 ea
1 package hot dog buns - .88
2 boxes Kraft Pasta Salad - $1 ea
1 can Bushes baked beans - $1.25
Total:
$8.67 or .72 per person!!! Not too bad on a moments notice!

That doesn't include the cake....but even that was frugal, and fun to make! Turbo wanted an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. Not only was that not in the budget, but we didn't have enough time to order it....so I made one! I paid $8 for all the supplies (two ice creams, store brand oreo cookies, store brand whipped topping). I made a 9x13 cake, one layer of chocolate ice cream, one layer of cookies and cream ice cream, with a layer of crushed oreo cookies in the middle. I "frosted" it with whipped topping, used my Pampered Chef decorator for some finishing touches, and viola! It was great! Who can go wrong with ice cream!

So....my $16.67 last minute BBQ was a total success!

1 comment:

Mama Said Sew said...

Happy Belated Birthday Turbo! Sounds like a great BBQ. :)

Here's another great "Ice Cream Cake" recipe: http://food.realsimple.com/realsimple/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1817861